- What is the PowerShift Wi-Fi Thermostat program?
- The PowerShift program is a voluntary program for electric members who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their central air conditioning.
- When summer temperatures climb, demand for electricity increases and can cause strain on the grid. The PowerShift program is designed to help reduce energy use during times of high energy demand. This decreases the use of less efficient and more expensive power sources. That’s good for the environment, and it helps keep energy costs low for everyone.
- Participants agree to brief adjustments of 4 degrees or less to their thermostats during peak electric demand periods from June 1 through Sept. 30. Adjustments to your thermostat typically last no more than four hours and will occur on non-holiday weekdays or for no longer than 3 consecutive days, except in the event of a system emergency. Thermostat events may include up to 3 degrees of pre-cooling leading up to an event.
- Participants will receive a one-time $50 incentive from their participating electric cooperative (limit one per thermostat) after successfully enrolling in the program. In addition, participants will receive $25 at the end of the summer season for participating.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must:
- Be a member of a participating electric cooperative and have the electric service in your name
- Use an eligible internet-connected smart thermostat for cooling
- Allow brief, small thermostat adjustments on days of high energy demand
- Who are the participating local electric cooperatives?
- Boone REMC
- Carroll White REMC
- Citizens Electric Corporation
- Corn Belt Energy
- EnerStar Electric Cooperative
- Fulton County REMC
- Heartland REMC
- Hendricks Power Cooperative
- Jasper County REMC
- Jay County REMC
- Kankakee Valley REMC
- Marshall County REMC
- Miami-Cass REMC
- M.J.M. Electric Cooperative
- Parke County REMC
- Steuben County REMC
- What is my enrollment incentive?
You will receive a one-time $50 check or bill credit from your electric cooperative after successfully enrolling in the program (one check per thermostat).
- When will I receive the $50 incentive from my electric cooperative for enrolling in the program?
You will receive your $50 incentive within weeks of being accepted into the program.
- How do I receive the $25 annual participation incentive?
You will receive one $25 incentive from your electric cooperative per thermostat at the end of the summer season for each year that you are enrolled in the program.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Provider Approved Thermostats Alarm.com Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat; 2GIG Z-Wave Plus™ Battery Powered Thermostat; Trane Z-Wave Thermostat; Linear Thermostat ecobee ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control, Smart Thermostat Enhanced, Smart Thermostat Premium Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO Nest Nest Thermostat, Nest Learning Thermostat, Nest Thermostat E
- Where can I find the Terms & Conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for all thermostat providers below:
Provider Terms and Conditions Alarm.com Terms & Conditions ecobee Terms & Conditions Emerson Terms & Conditions Honeywell Home Terms & Conditions Lux Terms & Conditions Google Nest Terms & Conditions
- How do I sign up for the PowerShift Wi-Fi Thermostat program?
Confirm your eligibility for the program by answering these three questions:
- Are you a member of a participating electric cooperative?
- Do you use an eligible, internet-connected thermostat to control your central air conditioning?
- Will you allow the program to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on high energy demand days or in the event of a system emergency?
If you answered yes to these three questions, please choose whether you have a thermostat to enroll in the PowerShift program or if you would like to purchase a new, qualifying thermostat.
- If you have an existing thermostat, please select your thermostat among the eligible models. Then, click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you will follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
- If you don’t have an existing eligible thermostat, please choose a model, purchase and install it. Once you have installed and activated, come back to enroll your new thermostat in the program.
Once your eligibility is confirmed by your electric cooperative, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive notification on your enrollment status via email using the address provided in your account registration.
- How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications will appear on the thermostat or in your web/mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an adjustment event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted up to 4 degrees above the current temperature setting.
- The event will typically last less than four hours on non-holiday weekday afternoons. Once the event is over, your thermostat will return to its normal setting.
- Thermostat events may include up to 3 degrees of pre-cooling prior to the start of an event.
- Will participating in the program compromise my comfort?
On event days, your thermostat will be adjusted by 4 degrees or less. Your participation is voluntary, and you will retain control of your thermostat. You can easily opt out of an event for any reason.
- Am I allowed to opt out of thermostat adjustment events?
Yes. During an event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device or web app.
- What should I do if I no longer want to participate in the program?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting to end your participation in the program. Once you have been taken off the program, your thermostat(s) will no longer be controlled and you will not receive the $25 annual participation incentive.