Power Savers NY FAQ
- What is the Power Savers program?
Power Savers is a voluntary demand response program designed to reward you for reducing your electricity use during periods of high demand for electricity, while helping the environment and reliability of the electricity grid.
- Participants agree to brief, limited events which adjust their thermostats during peak electric demand periods. The season begins May 1st and ends September 30th. Peak demand periods typically occur on particularly hot afternoons.
- Residential electricity customers in New York who have installed a qualifying connected thermostat controlling their central air conditioning system are eligible.
- Participants will earn a chance to win $5,000 for enrolling, as described below, and in the official Terms and Conditions and rules.
- Supports New York’s energy initiatives.
- Protects our environment by lowering emissions.
- Helps reduce the cost of peak energy in our region.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must meet the following qualifications:
- You are a resident of New York with an electric utility account.
- You use your thermostat to control your central air conditioning.
- You have an installed, eligible internet-connected thermostat.
- What is the prize for the sweepstakes?
The prize for the 2022 sweepstakes is payment of $5,000. One winner is drawn from all valid entries to receive payment. Please see the rules for the most current information based on your thermostat provider.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Provider Approved Thermostats Alarm.com Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat; 2GIG Z-Wave Plus™ Battery Powered Thermostat; Trane Z-Wave Thermostat; Linear Thermostat ecobee ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control, Smart Thermostat Enhanced, Smart Thermostat Premium Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO
- Where can I find the Terms & Conditions for the program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for all thermostat providers below:
Provider Terms and Conditions Alarm.com Terms & Conditions ecobee Terms & Conditions Lux Terms & Conditions
- How do I sign up for Power Savers?
Confirm your eligibility for the Power Savers program with these three questions:
- Are you a resident of New York with an electric utility account?
- Do you use your thermostat to control your central air conditioning?
- Will you allow the Power Savers program to make short, low impact thermostat adjustments on high energy usage days?
If you confirm these three questions, please choose whether you have an internet-connected thermostat to enroll in Power Savers or if you would like to purchase an existing thermostat.
- If you have an existing thermostat, please select your thermostat among the eligible models. If you don’t have an existing eligible thermostat, please choose a model, purchase and install it. Once you have installed and activated, come back to enroll your new thermostat in Power Savers.
- Click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you’ll follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
Once your eligibility is confirmed, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive notification on your eligibility status in your email.
- How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications may appear on the thermostat or in your web or mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted up to 4 degrees above the current temperature.
- The adjustment will typically last no more than 4 hours, and will occur between 11a.m. and 11 p.m. on non-holiday weekdays. Emergency events may be called any day of the week between 6 a.m-12a.m. for any length.
- Once the adjustment event is over, your thermostat will return to its normal set point and/or schedule.
- In some cases, your thermostat might be adjusted down 3 degrees prior to an adjustment event to pre cool your home or business.
- You can opt out of an event at any time from your mobile device, web browser, or thermostat.
- Will participating in the program negatively impact my comfort?
Adjustments events will only affect the temperature by a few degrees, with minimal impact on comfort. And you can easily opt out of an event at any time, for any reason. Your participation is voluntary.
- Am I allowed to opt out of thermostat adjustment events?
Yes. At any time during an event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device, or web app.
- How do I unenroll from Power Savers?
Send an email to powersaversNY@energyhub.com requesting to end your participation in the Power Savers program. Unenrolling from the program will end your participation for all your enrolled thermostats.
- What if I have additional questions about the program?
You can reach out to powersaversNY@energyhub.com.