Beat the Peak FAQs
- What is the Beat the Peak with Thermostats program?
- The Beat the Peak with Thermostats program is an optional program for residential electric members who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their air conditioning.
- When summer temperatures climb, demand for electricity increases. The Beat the Peak with Thermostats program is designed to help reduce high electricity—or peak—demand. Reducing peak demand can help control costs for all members long term.
- Participants agree to brief, limited adjustments of their thermostats during peak electric demand periods from June 1 through September 30. Enrolled members can anticipate at least one adjustment and a maximum of 25 adjustments per summer. Peak demand periods for adjustments typically occur on especially hot days.
- Participants will receive a $25 bill credit if they are enrolled into the program by September 30th and a $5 bill credit each summer month for participating and staying enrolled.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must:
- Be a local co-op residential electric member.
- Use an eligible internet-connected thermostat for cooling.
- What is my enrollment incentive?
Participants will receive a one-time $25 bill credit after being accepted into the program, if enrolled by September 30th.
- When will I receive the $25 bill credit for enrolling in the Beat the Peak with Thermostats program?
You will receive your $25 bill credit within 1 to 2 billing cycles of being accepted into the Beat the Peak with Thermostats program.
- How do I receive the $5 per summer month bill credit incentive?
You will receive a $5 bill credit per enrollment after the end of each summer month (June – September) for participating and staying enrolled in the program.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Provider Approved Thermostats Alarm.com Radio Thermostat CT30, CT80, CT100; Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat; 2GIG Z-Wave Plus™ Battery Powered Thermostat; Trane Z-Wave Thermostat; Linear Thermostat ecobee ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee Smart, ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO Google Nest Google Nest Thermostat, Google Nest Learning Thermostat, Google Nest Thermostat E Radio Thermostat Company of America Filtrete 3M-50, CT30, CT50, CT80 Vivint Radio Thermostat CT100 with Vivint Go!Control Panel
- How do I sign up for the Beat the Peak with Thermostats program?
Confirm your eligibility for the Beat the Peak with Thermostats program by answering these three questions:
- Are you a local co-op residential electric member?
- Do you use an eligible, internet-connected thermostat to control your central air conditioning?
- Will you allow short, low-impact thermostat adjustments on high energy usage days?
If you answer yes to these three questions, please choose whether you have a thermostat to enroll in the Beat the Peak with Thermostats program.
- If you have an existing thermostat, please select your thermostat among the eligible models.
- Click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you will follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
- Once your eligibility is confirmed, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive notification on your eligibility status in your account registered email.
- How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications may appear on thermostat or in your web or mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an adjustment event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted up to four degrees above the current temperature.
- The adjustment will typically last no more than four hours on non-holiday weekdays and will occur between 1 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Once the temperature adjustment is over, your thermostat will return to its normal set point and/or schedule.
- You can opt out of an event at any time from your mobile device, web browser or thermostat.
- Will participating in the program compromise my comfort?
Adjustment events will only affect the temperature by a few degrees, with minimal impact on comfort. You can easily opt out of an event at any time, for any reason. Your participation is voluntary and you will retain control of your thermostat.
- Am I allowed to opt out of thermostat adjustment events?
Yes. At any time during an event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device or web app.
- How do I unenroll from the Beat the Peak with Thermostats program?
Send an email to email@example.com, requesting to end your participation in the Beat the Peak with Thermostats program. Unenrolling from the program will end your participation for all of your enrolled thermostats. Once you unenroll in the program, you will not receive the annual participation incentive.
- What if I have additional questions about the program?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.