Smart Savings Rewards FAQ
- What is the Smart Savings Rewards program?
- NYSEG’s voluntary demand response program is designed to reward you for reducing your electricity use during periods of high demand for electricity, while helping the environment and reliability of the electricity grid.
- Participants agree to brief, limited events which adjust their thermostats during peak electric demand periods from May 1 through September 30 on non-holiday weekdays. You can anticipate at least one event, and a maximum of up to 15 adjustments per summer. Peak demand periods typically occur on hot, humid days.
- NYSEG electricity (excluding hourly pricing) customers who have installed a qualifying connected thermostat controlling their central air conditioning system are eligible.
- Participants will receive an $85 Amazon e-gift card after being accepted into the program and a $5 bill credit for each event they fully participate in.
- NYSEG has partnered with EnergyHub to oversee and implement the Smart Savings Rewards program.
- How does Smart Savings Rewards benefit the community?
- The program:
- Supports New York state’s energy initiatives.
- Protects our environment by lowering emissions.
- Helps reduce the cost of peak energy in our region.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
- To be eligible to enroll, you must meet the following qualifications:
- You are a NYSEG electric customer, but not an hourly pricing customer.
- You use your thermostat to control your central air conditioning.
- You have an installed, eligible internet-connected thermostat.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
- Below is the current list of qualifying thermostats.
- How do I sign up for Smart Savings Rewards?
- Locate your existing thermostat among the eligible models on the home page. If you don’t have an existing eligible thermostat, choose a model from the list, purchase and install it.
- Click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you’ll follow a series of simple steps to enroll. The applicant’s name must match the name on your NYSEG electricity account or be an authorized party on your NYSEG electricity account.
- Once your eligibility is confirmed, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive an email notification on your eligibility status.
- What is my enrollment incentive?
- You will receive an $85 Amazon e-gift card within four to six weeks of being accepted into the program.
- How do I receive the $5 event participation incentive?
- For every event that you fully participate in, you’ll receive a $5 bill credit on your NYSEG account.* All bill credits are processed by the end of each month, for the previous month’s events.
- How will I know that an event is in progress?
- Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications may appear on the thermostat or in your web or mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted up to 4 degrees above the current temperature.
- The adjustment will typically last no more than 4 hours, and will occur between 1 and 7 pm on non-holiday weekdays.
- Once the adjustment event is over, your thermostat will return to its normal set point and/or schedule.
- In some cases, your thermostat might be adjusted down 2 degrees prior to an adjustment event to precool your home or business.
- You can opt out of an event at any time from your mobile device, web browser, or thermostat.*
- Will participating in the program negatively impact my comfort?
- Adjustments events will only affect the temperature by a few degrees, with minimal impact on comfort. And you can easily opt out of an event at any time, for any reason.* Your participation is voluntary.
- How do I unenroll from the Smart Savings Rewards Program?
- Send an email to email@example.com requesting to end your participation in the Smart Savings Rewards program. Unenrolling from the program will end your participation for all your enrolled thermostats.
- You will not be eligible for the $5 event participation incentives if you unenroll from the program.
- What if I have additional questions about the program?
- If you have additional questions, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-689-9302.
|Alarm.com||Radio Thermostat CT30, CT80, CT100; Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat|
|ecobee||ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee Smart Si, ecobee Smart|
|Emerson||Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat|
|Honeywell||Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat, Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat with Voice Control, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Touchscreen Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000, Wi-Fi 9000 with Voice Control, Wi-Fi Focus Pro, Wi-Fi Vision Pro|
|Nest||The Nest Learning Thermostat|
|Radio Thermostat Company of America||Filtrete 3M-50, CT30, CT50, CT80|
|Vivint||Radio Thermostat CT100 with Vivint Go!Control Panel|