Washington Gas FAQ
- What is the Washington Gas Smart Energy Rewards program?
- The Smart Energy Rewards program is a voluntary program for Washington Gas Maryland residential gas customers who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their central heating.
- When winter temperatures drop, demand for natural gas increases and can cause a strain on the gas delivery system. The Smart Energy Rewards program is designed to help reduce gas use during times of high demand.
- Participants agree to brief reductions of 4 degrees Fahrenheit or less to their thermostats during peak gas demand periods from December 1 through March 31. Adjustments to your thermostat typically last no more than four hours and will not occur on weekends or holidays, except in the event of a system emergency.
- Participants will receive a one-time $20 e-gift card after successfully enrolling in the program. In addition, participants will receive a $10 e-gift card each year at the end of the heating season.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must:
- Be a Washington Gas Maryland residential customer and the gas service is in your name.
- Use an eligible internet-connected smart thermostat for heating.
- Allow Washington Gas to make brief, small temperature adjustments to your thermostat on days of high gas demand.
- What is my enrollment incentive?
You will receive a one-time $20 e-gift card after successfully enrolling in the program (one e-gift card per household).
- When will I receive the $20 e-gift card for enrolling in the program?
You will receive your $20 e-gift card within 60 days of being accepted into the program. The $20 e-gift card will be sent to the email address used to register your smart thermostat.
- How do I receive the $10 e-gift card annual participation incentive?
You will receive one $10 e-gift card per household following the end of each annual heating season you are enrolled in the program. The $10 e-gift card will be sent to the email address used to register your smart thermostat.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Provider Approved Thermostats Alarm.com Radio Thermostat CT30, CT80, CT100; Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat; 2GIG Z-Wave Plus™ Battery Powered Thermostat; Trane Z-Wave Thermostat; Linear Thermostat Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO Google Nest Google Nest Thermostat, Google Nest Learning Thermostat, Google Nest Thermostat E Radio Thermostat Company of America Filtrete 3M-50, CT30, CT50, CT80 Vivint Radio Thermostat CT100 with Vivint Go!Control Panel
- How do I sign up for the Washington Gas Smart Energy Rewards program?
Confirm your eligibility for the program by answering these three questions:
- Are you a Washington Gas Maryland residential gas customer?
- My thermostat is connected to my natural gas furnace or boiler.
- Will you allow the program to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on high gas demand days or in the event of a system emergency?
If you answered yes to these three questions, please choose whether you have a thermostat to enroll in the Washington Gas program or if you would like to purchase a new, qualifying thermostat.
- If you have an existing thermostat, please select your thermostat among the eligible models. Then, click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you will follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
- If you don’t have an existing eligible thermostat, please choose a model, purchase and install it. Once you have installed and activated, come back to enroll your new thermostat in the program.
Once your eligibility is confirmed by Washington Gas, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive notification on your enrollment status via email using the address provided in your account registration.
- How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications will appear on the thermostat or in your web/mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an adjustment event, the temperature on your thermostat will be automatically lowered by up to 4 degrees below the current temperature setting.
- The event will typically last less than four hours on non-holiday weekday afternoons. Once the event is over, your thermostat will return to its normal setting.
- Will participating in the program have an impact on my comfort?
Your thermostat’s temperature will only be lowered by 4 degrees or less on event days. Your participation is voluntary and you will retain control of your thermostat at all times. You can easily opt out of an event for any reason by manually adjusting your thermostat setting.
- Am I allowed to opt out of thermostat adjustment events?
Yes. During an event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device or web app.
- What should I do if I no longer want to participate in the program?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting to end your participation in the program. Once you have been taken off the program, your thermostat(s) will no longer be controlled and you will not receive the annual participation incentive. You are free to sign up again for the program the following year.
- What if I have additional questions about the program?
Please email email@example.com.