Bring Your Own Thermostat FAQ
- What is Appalachian Power’s Bring Your Own Thermostat program?
- Appalachian Power’s program is a voluntary program for Appalachian Power residential electric customers who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their central air conditioning.
- When summer temperatures climb, demand for electricity increases and can cause strain on the grid. Appalachian Power’s Bring Your Own Thermostat program is designed to help reduce energy use during times of high energy demand. This decreases the use of less efficient and more expensive power sources. That’s good for the environment, and it helps keep energy costs low for everyone.
- Participants agree to brief adjustments of a few degrees to their thermostats during peak electric demand periods from May 1 through Sept. 30. Adjustments to your thermostat typically last no more than four hours and will not occur on weekends or holidays, except in the event of a system emergency.
- Participants will receive a one-time $50 e-gift card per thermostat after successfully enrolling in the program. In addition, participants will receive up to a $25 e-gift card each year for each central cooling unit enrolled ($5 per month May – Sept) at the end of the program season.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must:
- Be an Appalachian Power VA residential electric customer and the electric service is in your name
- Use an eligible internet-connected smart thermostat for cooling
- Allow Appalachian Power to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on days of high energy demand
- What is my enrollment incentive?
You will receive a one-time $50 e-gift card per thermostat after successfully enrolling in the program.
- When will I receive the $50 e-gift card for enrolling in the program?
You will receive your $50 e-gift card within 60 days of being accepted into the program. The $50 e-gift card will be sent to the email address used to register your smart thermostat.
- How do I receive the $25 e-gift card annual participation incentive?
You will receive up to one $25 e-gift card ($5 per month May through Sept) per central cooling unit enrolled at the end of the program season each year that you are enrolled in the program. The e-gift card will be sent to the email address used to register your smart thermostat.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Provider Approved Thermostats Alarm.com Radio Thermostat CT30, CT80, CT100; Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat; 2GIG Z-Wave Plus™ Battery Powered Thermostat; Trane Z-Wave Thermostat; Linear Thermostat ecobee ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee Smart, ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO Google Nest Google Nest Thermostat, Google Nest Learning Thermostat, Google Nest Thermostat E Radio Thermostat Company of America Filtrete 3M-50, CT30, CT50, CT80 Vivint Radio Thermostat CT100 with Vivint Go!Control Panel
- Where can I find the Terms & Conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for all thermostat providers below:
Provider Terms and Conditions Alarm.com Terms & Conditions ecobee Terms & Conditions Emerson Terms & Conditions Honeywell Home Terms & Conditions Lux Terms & Conditions Google Nest Terms & Conditions Radio Thermostat Terms & Conditions Vivint Terms & Conditions
- How do I sign up for Appalachian Power’s program?
Confirm your eligibility for the program by answering these three questions:
- Are you an Appalachian Power residential electric customer?
- Do you use an eligible, internet-connected thermostat to control your central air conditioning?
- Will you allow the program to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on high energy demand days or in the event of a system emergency?
If you answered yes to these three questions, please choose whether you have a thermostat to enroll in Appalachian Power’s program or if you would like to purchase a new, qualifying thermostat.
- If you have an existing thermostat, please select your thermostat among the eligible models. Then, click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you will follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
- If you don’t have an existing eligible thermostat, please choose a model, purchase and install it. Once you have installed and activated, come back to enroll your new thermostat in the program.
- Once your eligibility is confirmed by Appalachian Power, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive notification on your enrollment status via email using the address provided in your account registration.
- How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications will appear on the thermostat or in your web/mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an adjustment event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted by a few degrees above the current temperature setting.
- The event will typically last less than four hours. There will be no events on weekend or holidays.
- Will participating in the program compromise my comfort?
Only on event days, your thermostat will be adjusted by a few degrees. Your participation is voluntary and you will retain control of your thermostat. You can easily opt out of an event for any reason.
- Am I allowed to opt out of thermostat adjustment events?
Yes. During an event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device or web app.
- What should I do if I no longer want to participate in the program?
Send an email to email@example.com , requesting to end your participation in the program. Once you have been taken off the program, your thermostat(s) will no longer be controlled and you will not receive the annual participation incentive.
- What if I have additional questions about the program?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org