- What is the Peak Energy Rewards program?
- Our Peak Energy Rewards program is a voluntary program for our residential and business electric customers who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their central air conditioning.
- When summer temperatures climb, demand for electricity increases and can cause strain on the grid. The Peak Energy Rewards program is designed to help reduce energy use during times of high energy demand. This decreases the use of less efficient and more expensive power sources. That’s good for the environment, and it helps keep energy costs low for everyone.
- Participants agree to brief adjustments of 4 degrees or less to their thermostat(s) during peak electric demand periods from May 1 through Sept. 30. Adjustments to your thermostat typically last no more than four hours and will not occur on weekends or holidays, except in the event of a system emergency.
- Participants will receive a one-time $50 bill credit per thermostat after successfully enrolling in the program. In addition, participants will receive a $25 bill credit each year they participate in the program.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must:
- Be a Colorado Springs Utilities residential/business electric customer with the electric service in your name.
- Use an eligible internet-connected smart thermostat to control a central air conditioning unit.
- Allow us to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on days of high energy demand.
- What is my enrollment incentive?
- You will receive a one-time $50 bill credit per thermostat after successful enrollment in the program.
- When will I receive the $50 bill credit for enrolling in the program?
You will receive your $50 bill credit within 60 days of being accepted into the program.
- How do I receive the $25 bill credit annual participation incentive?
- You will receive one $25 bill credit at the end of the summer season for each year that you are enrolled in the program.
- Customers who do not participate in at least one temperature adjustment event will be removed from the program at the end of the summer season.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Below is the current list of qualifying thermostats.
Provider Approved Thermostats Alarm.com Radio Thermostat CT30, CT80, CT100; Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat; 2GIG Z-Wave Plus™ Battery Powered Thermostat; Trane Z-Wave Thermostat; Linear Thermostat ecobee ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee Smart Si, ecobee Smart, ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO Radio Thermostat Filtrete 3M-50, CT30, CT50, CT80 Vivint Radio Thermostat CT100 with Vivint Go!Control Panel
- Where can I find the Terms and Conditions for the program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for all thermostat providers below:
Provider Terms and Conditions Alarm.com Terms and Conditions ecobee Terms and Conditions Emerson Terms and Conditions Honeywell Home Terms and Conditions Lux Terms and Conditions Radio Thermostat Company of America Terms and Conditions Vivint Terms and Conditions
- How do I sign up for the program?
Confirm your eligibility for the program by answering these three questions:
- Are you a Colorado Springs Utilities residential/business electric customer?
Do you use an eligible, internet-connected thermostat to control your central air conditioning? If you don’t have an existing eligible thermostat, please choose a model, purchase and install it. Once you have installed and activated your device, come back to enroll it in the program. For more information on purchasing an eligible thermostat, and to apply for a rebate, please visit our website.
- Will you allow the program to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on high energy demand days or in the event of a system emergency?
If you answered yes to these three questions, please choose whether you have a thermostat to enroll in our Peak Energy Rewards program or if you would like to purchase a new, qualifying thermostat.
- If you have an existing thermostat, select your thermostat among the eligible models. Then, click the Enroll Now button to follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
Once your eligibility is confirmed, your enrollment will be complete. You will receive email notification of your enrollment status using the address provided in your account registration.
- How will I know when a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications will appear on the thermostat or in your web/mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- Prior to the event, your thermostat will pre-cool your home or business by up to two degrees below the current temperature setting.
- At the start of an adjustment event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted up to four degrees above the current temperature setting.
- The event will typically occur between the hours of 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- The event will typically last less than four hours on non-holiday weekday afternoons. Once the event is over, your thermostat will return to its normal setting.
- Will participating in the program compromise my comfort?
- Your thermostat will be adjusted by four degrees or less only on event days. Your participation is voluntary and you will retain control of your thermostat. You can easily opt out of an event for any reason.
- Am I allowed to opt out of thermostat adjustment events?
Yes. During an event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device or web app.
- What should I do if I no longer want to participate in the program?
Send an email to request ending your participation in the program. Once you have been taken off the program, your thermostat(s) will no longer be controlled and you will not receive the annual participation incentive.
- What if I have additional questions about the program?