SMECO SmartTemp FAQ
- What is SMECO’s SmartTemp program?
- SMECO’s SmartTemp is a voluntary program for SMECO residential members who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their central air conditioner/heat pump.
- When summer temperatures climb, demand for electricity increases and power costs more. SMECO’s SmartTemp program is designed to help reduce energy use during times of high energy demand. Reducing demand decreases the use of less efficient and more expensive power sources. That’s good for the environment, and that helps everyone save.
- Participants agree to brief thermostat adjustments of 4 degrees or less during peak electric demand periods. Adjustments to your thermostat typically occur on weekdays and last no more than four hours.(Unless there is a system emergency, peak periods do not occur on weekends or holidays.)
- Participants can receive up to $100 per household in their first year for enrolling and participating in SMECO’s SmartTemp program. Plus, participants who stay enrolled will continue to get up to $50 in bill credits per household each year.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must:
- Be a SMECO residential member with the electric service in your name
- Use an eligible internet-connected smart thermostat for cooling
- Allow SMECO to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on days of high energy demand
- Cannot participate in SMECO’s SmartTemp and CoolSentry programs simultaneously
- When will I receive my $100 for the first year of participation?
You will receive a $50 enrollment bonus check and up to $50 in bill credits per household on your monthly SMECO bills. The credit will be split across multiple months between June through October, with the exact timeframe dependent on when you enroll in the program.
- How do I receive the annual $50 bill credit incentive after my first year?
You will receive up to $50 in bill credits per household starting in your second year of enrollment in the program. That $50 bill credit will be divided evenly between your SMECO utility bills across multiple months between June through October.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Provider Approved Thermostats ecobee ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control, Smart Thermostat Enhanced, Smart Thermostat Premium Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO
- Where can I find the Terms & Conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for all thermostat providers below:
Provider Terms and Conditions ecobee Terms & Conditions Emerson Terms & Conditions Honeywell Home Terms & Conditions Lux Terms & Conditions
- How do I sign up for SMECO’s program?
Confirm your eligibility for the program by answering these three questions:
- Are you a SMECO residential member?
- Do you use an eligible, internet-connected thermostat to control your central air conditioner/heat pump? (CoolSentry thermostats are not eligible.)
- Will you allow the program to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on high energy demand days or in the event of a system emergency?
If you answered yes to these three questions, please choose whether you have a thermostat to enroll in SMECO’s program or if you would like to purchase a new, qualifying thermostat.
- If you have an existing thermostat, please select your thermostat among the eligible models. Then, click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you will follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
- If you don’t have an existing eligible thermostat, please choose a model from the table here, purchase and install it. Once you have it installed and activated, come back to enroll your new thermostat in the program.
Once SMECO confirms your eligibility, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive notification of your enrollment status via email using the address provided in your account registration.
- How did I sign-up for this program?
- Nest Rush Hour Rewards
- The Eco+ (ecobee) and Rush Hour Rewards (Nest) partner programs run by these thermostat manufacturers use proprietary names during the enrollment process on their websites and on mobile phone applications. By opting-in to these programs, you have also submitted an enrollment application for SMECO’s SmartTemp program.
- How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications will appear on the thermostat or in your web/mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an adjustment event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted up to 4 degrees above the current temperature setting.
- While events can last for a maximum of six hours, the typical event will last four hours or less on non-holiday weekday afternoons. Once the event is over, your thermostat will return to its normal setting.
- Will participating in the program compromise my comfort?
Your thermostat will be adjusted by 4 degrees or less only on event days. Your participation is voluntary, and you will retain control of your thermostat. You can easily opt out of an event for any reason.
- Am I allowed to opt out of thermostat adjustment events?
Yes. During an event, you can opt out using your thermostat, mobile device or web app at any time.
- I have a Google Nest or Alarm.com device, am I eligible for SmartTemp?
Google Nest or Alarm.com customers who were accepted to SmartTemp through May 31, 2023 will remain in SmartTemp. After May 31, 2023, Google Nest and Alarm.com customers are only eligible for the FlexTemp Program.
- What should I do if I no longer want to participate in the program?
Send an email to SMECOSmartTemp@icf.com, requesting to end your participation in the program. Once you have been taken off the program, your thermostat(s) will no longer be controlled and you will not receive the bill credits.
- What if I have additional questions about the program?
Please email SMECOSmartTemp@icf.com.