SMECO FlexTemp FAQ
- What is SMECO’s FlexTemp Pilot program?
- SMECO’s FlexTemp Pilot is a voluntary program for SMECO residential members who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their central air conditioner/heat pump.
- SMECO’s FlexTemp Pilot program is designed to help reduce energy use during times of high energy demand. Reducing demand decreases the use of less efficient and more expensive power sources. That’s good for the environment, and it helps keep energy costs low for everyone.
- Participants agree to brief thermostat adjustments of four degrees or less during peak electric demand periods. Adjustments to your thermostat typically occur on weekdays and last no more than two hours. (Unless there is a system emergency, peak periods do not occur on weekends or holidays.)
- Participants who stay enrolled will continue to get up to $50 in bill credits per household each year.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must:
- Be a SMECO residential member with the electric service in your name
- Use an eligible, internet-connected smart thermostat for cooling
- Allow SMECO to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on days of high energy demand
- I have an Ecobee device, am I eligible for FlexTemp?
Ecobee customers who were accepted to FlexTemp through May 31, 2023 will remain in FlexTemp. After May 31, 2023, Ecobee customers are only eligible for the SmartTemp Program.
- When will I receive my $50 for the first year of participation?
You will receive up to $10 per month in bill credits per household on your monthly SMECO bill from June through October for each month you stay enrolled (up to $50 in bill credits per year).
- How do I receive the annual $50 bill credit incentive after my first year?
You will continue to receive up to $50 in bill credits per household each year you remain enrolled and participate in the program. The total credit will be divided evenly across your SMECO bills as you stay enrolled, with increments of $10 per month issued from June through October.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Provider Approved Thermostats Alarm.com Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat; 2GIG Z-Wave Plus™ Battery Powered Thermostat; Trane Z-Wave Thermostat; Linear Thermostat Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Google Nest Google Nest Thermostat, Google Nest Learning Thermostat, Google Nest Thermostat E Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO
- Where can I find the Terms & Conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for all thermostat providers below:
Provider Terms and Conditions Alarm.com Terms & Conditions Emerson Terms & Conditions Google Nest Terms & Conditions Honeywell Home Terms & Conditions Lux Terms & Conditions
- How do I sign up for SMECO’s FlexTemp Pilot program?
Confirm your eligibility for the program by answering these four questions:
- Are you a SMECO residential member?
- Are you currently participating in SMECO’s CoolSentry program?
- Do you use an eligible, internet-connected thermostat to control your central air conditioner/heat pump?
- Will you allow the program to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on high energy demand days or in the event of a system emergency?
If you answered yes to these four questions, please choose whether you have a thermostat to enroll in SMECO’s program or if you would like to purchase a new, qualifying thermostat.
- If you have an existing thermostat, please select your thermostat among the eligible models. Then, click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you will follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
- If you don’t have an existing eligible thermostat, please choose a model from the table here, then purchase and install it. Once you have the thermostat installed and activated, come back to the FlexTemp website to enroll your new thermostat in the program.
Once SMECO confirms your eligibility, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive notification of your enrollment status via email using the address provided in your account registration.
- How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications will appear on the thermostat or in your mobile device, or web application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an adjustment event, your thermostat will automatically be adjusted up to four degrees above or below the current temperature setting.
- While events can last for a maximum of four hours, the typical event will last one hour or less on non-holiday weekdays. Once the event is over, your thermostat will return to its normal setting.
- Will participating in the program compromise my comfort?
Your thermostat will be adjusted by four degrees or less only on event days. Your participation is voluntary, and you will retain control of your thermostat. You can easily opt out of an event for any reason.
- Am I allowed to opt out of thermostat adjustment events?
Yes. During an event, you can opt out using your thermostat, mobile device, or web app at any time.
- What should I do if I no longer want to participate in the program?
Send an email to SMECOFlexTemp@icf.com requesting to end your participation in the program. Once you have been taken off the program, your thermostat(s) will no longer be controlled. If you unenroll prior to May 1 in your first year, you will not receive the $50 enrollment bonus check. If you unenroll, you will not receive any bill credits.
- What if I have additional questions about the program?
Please email SMECOFlexTemp@icf.com.