Rhode Island Energy FAQ
- What is the Rhode Island Energy ConnectedSolutions program?
- Rhode Island Energy’s voluntary demand response program is designed to reward you for reducing your electricity use during periods of high demand, while helping the environment and reliability of the electricity grid.
- Participants agree to brief, limited events which adjust their thermostats during peak electric demand periods from June 1 through September 30. You can anticipate at least one adjustment, and a maximum of up to 15 adjustments per summer. Peak demand periods for adjustments typically occur on especially hot days. Adjustments will not occur on holidays.
- Rhode Island Energy residential electricity customers who have installed a qualifying connected thermostat controlling their central air conditioning system are eligible.
- Participants will receive a $25 e-gift card per device after being accepted into the program and a $20 e-gift card per device at the end of each summer season for participating.
- How does the ConnectedSolutions program benefit the community?
- Supports RI energy initiatives
- Protects our environment by lowering emissions.
- Helps reduce the cost of peak energy in our region.
- Helps control electric rates in the long term.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must meet the following qualifications:
- You are a Rhode Island Energy residential or small business electric customer.
- You use your thermostat to control your central air conditioning.
- You have an installed, eligible internet-connected thermostat.
- What is my enrollment incentive?
Participants will receive a $25 e-gift card per thermostat after being accepted into the program.
- When will I receive the $25 e-gift card for enrolling in ConnectedSolutions?
You will receive an email with your $25 e-gift card for being accepted into ConnectedSolutions within four to six weeks of being accepted into the program.
- How do I receive the $20 annual participation incentive?
You will receive an email with your $20 e-gift card at the end of the summer season for participating.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Below is the current list of qualifying thermostats.
Provider Approved Thermostats Alarm.com Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat; 2GIG Z-Wave Plus™ Battery Powered Thermostat; Trane Z-Wave Thermostat; Linear Thermostat ecobee ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee Smart Si, ecobee Smart, ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO Google Nest Google Nest Thermostat, Google Nest Learning Thermostat, Google Nest Thermostat E
- Where can I find the Terms & Conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for all thermostat providers below:
Provider Terms and Conditions Alarm.com Terms and Conditions ecobee Terms and Conditions Emerson Terms and Conditions Honeywell Home Terms and Conditions Lux Terms and Conditions Google Nest Terms and Conditions
- How do I sign up for ConnectedSolutions?
Confirm your eligibility for the ConnectedSolutions program with these three questions:
- Are you a Rhode Island Energy residential or small business electric customer?
- Do you use your thermostat to control your central air conditioning?
- Will you allow Rhode Island Energy to make short, low impact thermostat adjustments on peak energy days?
If you confirm these three questions, please choose whether you have a thermostat to enroll in the ConnectedSolutions program or if you would like to purchase one.
- If you have an existing thermostat, please select your thermostat among the eligible models. If you don’t have an existing eligible thermostat, please choose a model, purchase and install it. Once you have installed and activated, come back to enroll your new thermostat in the ConnectedSolutions program.
- Click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you’ll follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
Once your eligibility is confirmed by National Grid, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive notification on your eligibility status in your account registered email.
- How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications will appear on the thermostat or in your web/mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an adjustment event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted up to 4 degrees above the current temperature setting.
- The adjustment will typically last no more than 3 hours on non-holiday weekdays, and will occur between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.
- Once the temperature adjustment is over, your thermostat will return to its normal set point and/or schedule.
- In some cases, your thermostat might be adjusted down 3 degrees prior to an adjustment event to pre-cool your home or business.
- You can opt out of an event at any time from your mobile device, web browser, or thermostat. For the majority of devices, when you opt out of the pre-cool, you are also opting out of the temperature adjustment. If you own an ecobee device, you must also opt out of the temperature adjustment.
- Will participating in the program compromise my comfort?
Adjustment events will only affect the temperature by a few degrees, with minimal impact on comfort. And you can easily opt out of an event at any time, for any reason. Your participation is voluntary.
- Am I allowed to opt out of thermostat adjustment events?
Yes. During an event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device or web app.
- Does opting out of the pre-cool opt me out of the thermostat adjustment event?
For the majority of devices, when you opt out of the pre-cool, you are also opting out of the temperature adjustment. If you own an ecobee device, you must also opt out of the temperature adjustment.
- How do I unenroll from ConnectedSolutions?
Send an email to email@example.com requesting to end your participation in the ConnectedSolutions program. Unenrolling from the program will end your participation for all your enrolled thermostats
- What if I have additional questions about the program?
You can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org