- What is MGE Connect™?
- MGE Connect™ is an optional program for residential electric customers who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their air conditioning.
- When summer temperatures climb, demand for electricity increases. MGE Connect™ is designed to help reduce high electricity—or peak—demand. Reducing peak demand can help control costs for all customers long term.
- Participants agree to brief, limited adjustments of their thermostats during peak electric demand periods from June 1 through September 30. Enrolled customers can anticipate at least one adjustment and a maximum of 20 adjustments per summer. Peak demand periods for adjustments typically occur on especially hot days. Adjustments will not occur on holidays.
- Participants will receive a $25 Visa gift card after being accepted into the program and a $25 gift card per thermostat at the end of each summer season for participating. Customers with multiple thermostats controlling a single air conditioning unit are only eligible for one participation incentive.
- How does MGE Connect™ benefit the community?
Supports a reduction in our collective energy use, which helps to lower emissions. MGE is working with customers to reduce carbon emissions, targeting net-zero carbon electricity by the year 2050.
Helps MGE better understand how the use of new, smart technologies can be used to manage our community’s electric grid during periods of high electric use.
Helps to reduce the need for new sources of electric generation to meet peak demand, which puts pressure on utilities to generate, transmit and distribute the maximum amount of electricity to serve everyone who needs it.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must:
Be an MGE residential electric customer.
Use an eligible internet-connected thermostat for cooling.
- What is my enrollment incentive?
Participants will receive a one-time $25 gift card after being accepted into the program (one gift card per customer for enrollment).
- When will I receive the $25 gift card for enrolling in MGE Connect™?
You will receive your $25 gift card within 60 days of being accepted into the MGE Connect™ program.
- How do I receive the $25 gift card annual participation incentive?
You will receive a $25 gift card per eligible thermostat for each summer season (June through September) that you stay enrolled in the program. Customers with multiple thermostats controlling a single air conditioning unit are only eligible for one participation incentive.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Below is the current list of qualifying thermostats.
Provider Approved Thermostats Alarm.com Radio Thermostat CT30, CT80, CT100; Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat Building36 Building 36 Intelligent Thermostat ecobee ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee Smart Si, ecobee Smart Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat, Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat with Voice Control, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Touchscreen Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000, Wi-Fi 9000 with Voice Control, Wi-Fi Focus Pro, Wi-Fi Vision Pro Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO Nest Nest Learning Thermostat, Nest Thermostat E Radio Thermostat Company of America Filtrete 3M-50, CT30, CT50, CT80 Vivint Radio Thermostat CT100 with Vivint Go!Control Panel
- Where can I find the Terms & Conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for all thermostat providers below:
Provider Terms and Conditions Alarm.com https://www.alarm.com/web/Energy/EnergyProgram.aspx ecobee https://www.ecobee.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/2019-06-11-ecobee-MGE-Customer-Terms.pdf Emerson https://sensi.energyhub.net/ss/terms/mge/sensi-mge.html Honeywell https://honeywellhome.energyhub.net/tcc/terms/mge/honeywell-mge.html Lux https://my.luxproducts.com/connect/terms/mge/lux-mge.html Nest https://nest.com/legal/energy-partner/mge Radio Thermostat Company of America https://my.radiothermostat.com/rtcoa/terms/mge/rtcoa-mge.html Vivint https://www.alarm.com/web/Energy/EnergyProgram.aspx
- How do I sign up for MGE Connect™?
- Visit enrollmythermostat.com/mge
- Confirm your eligibility for MGE Connect™ by answering these three questions:
- Are you an MGE residential electric customer?
- Do you use an eligible, internet-connected thermostat to control your central air conditioning?
- Will you allow MGE to make short, low-impact thermostat adjustments on high energy usage days?
- If you answer yes to these three questions, please choose whether you have a thermostat to enroll in MGE Connect™.
- If you have an existing thermostat, please select your thermostat among the eligible models.
- Click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you will follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
- Once your eligibility is confirmed by MGE, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive notification on your eligibility status in your account registered email.
- How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications may appear on the thermostat or in your web or mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an adjustment event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted up to four degrees above the current temperature.
- The adjustment will typically last no more than four hours on non-holiday weekdays and will occur between 12 p.m. and 9 p.m.
- Once the temperature adjustment is over, your thermostat will return to its normal set point and/or schedule.
- In some cases, your thermostat may be adjusted down 3 degrees prior to an adjustment event to pre-cool your home.
- You can opt out of an event at any time from your mobile device, web browser or thermostat. For the majority of devices, when you opt out of the pre-cool, you are also opting out of the temperature adjustment. If you own an ecobee device, you must also opt out the temperature adjustment.
- Will participating in the program compromise my comfort?
Adjustment events will only affect the temperature by a few degrees, with minimal impact on comfort. You can easily opt out of an event at any time, for any reason. Your participation is voluntary and you will retain control of your thermostat.
- Am I allowed to opt out of thermostat adjustment events?
Yes. At any time during an event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device or web app.
- Does opting out of the pre-cool opt me out of the thermostat adjustment event?
For the majority of devices, when you opt out of the pre-cool, you are also opting out of the temperature adjustment. If you own an ecobee device, you must also opt out the temperature adjustment.
- How do I unenroll from MGE Connect™?
Send an email to MGE@energyhub.com, requesting to end your participation in MGE Connect™. Unenrolling from the program will end your participation for all of your enrolled thermostats. Once you unenroll in the program, you will not receive the annual participation incentive.
- What if I have additional questions about the program?
Please email MGE@energyhub.com.