Indiana Michigan Power FAQ
- What is Power Rewards: Smart Thermostat?
- Power Rewards: Smart Thermostat is optional for customers who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their air conditioning.
- When summer temperatures climb, demand for energy increases. Power Rewards: Smart Thermostat is designed to help reduce high energy—or peak—demand. Holding Peak Energy Use Events helps reducing peak demand and can help control costs for all everyone long term.
- Participants agree to brief, limited adjustments of their thermostats during Peak Energy Use Events. The events are held on weekdays from May – September and will not last longer than 6 hours. There are a maximum of 15 events per summer. Peak demand periods for adjustments typically occur on especially hot days. You always have control and can adjust the thermostat at any time.
- Participants will receive a $25 check per device- for up to two devices - within 4 - 6 weeks of being enrolled in Power Rewards: Smart Thermostat. Also, Michigan customers will receive a bill credit of $1.95 and Indiana customers will receive a bill credit of $2.40 per Peak Energy Use Event when your participation is at least 50% of the event’s duration.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must:
- Be an Indiana Michigan Power customer.
- Use an eligible internet-connected thermostat for cooling.
- Have continuous Wi-Fi /internet.
- Have central air conditioning.
- What is the enrollment rebate?
You will receive a one-time $25 check per device as a thank you for enrolling. Note that, while you may enroll as many thermostats as you’d like, there is a maximum of two $25 enrollment incentives per account lifetime.
- When will I receive the $25 check for enrolling in Power Rewards: Smart Thermostat?
You will receive your $25 check within 4 - 6 weeks.
- What is the bill credit for participating in an event?
Michigan customers will receive a bill credit of $1.95 and Indiana customers will receive a bill credit of $2.40 per Peak Energy Use Event when your participation is at least 50% of the event’s duration.
- Do I have to participate in the entire event to get a credit?
You must participate at least 50% of the event’s duration.
- How do I receive the $1.95 or $2.40 participation credit?
On your next bill, you will receive a $1.95 (Michigan) or $2.40 (Indiana) bill credit, for each event in which you participate.
- Which thermostats qualify for Power Rewards: Smart Thermostat?
Provider Approved Thermostats Alarm.com Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat; 2GIG Z-Wave Plus™ Battery Powered Thermostat; Trane Z-Wave Thermostat; Linear Thermostat ecobee ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control, Smart Thermostat Enhanced, Smart Thermostat Premium Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO Google Nest Google Nest Thermostat, Google Nest Learning Thermostat, Google Nest Thermostat E Amazon Amazon Smart Thermostat
- Where can I find the Terms & Conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for all thermostat providers below:
Provider Terms and Conditions Alarm.com Terms & Conditions ecobee Terms & Conditions Emerson Terms & Conditions Honeywell Home Terms & Conditions Lux Terms & Conditions Google Nest Terms & Conditions Vivint Terms & Conditions Amazon Terms & Conditions
- How do I sign up for Power Rewards: Smart Thermostat?
- How will I know that a Peak Energy Use Event is in progress?
Prior to a Peak Energy Use Event, we will post a “Peak Energy Use Event” Alert on our websites letting you know when the event will start and stop. Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications may appear on the thermostat or in your web or mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of the event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted a few degrees above the current temperature.
- The adjustment will no more than six hours on non-holiday weekdays.
- When the event is over, your thermostat will return to its normal setting and schedule.
- You can opt out of an event at any time from your mobile device, web browser or thermostat. When you opt out you will not get the bill credit or energy savings.
- Will participating in Power Rewards: Smart Thermostat compromise my comfort?
A Peak Energy Use Event will only affect the temperature by a few degrees, with minimal impact on comfort. You can easily opt out of an event at any time, for any reason. When you opt out you will not get the bill credit or energy savings. You always have control and can adjust the thermostat at any time
- Am I allowed to opt out of Peak Energy Use Events?
Yes. At any time during an event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device or web app. However, when you opt out you will not get the bill credit or energy savings.
- How do I unenroll from Power Rewards: Smart Thermostat?
Participating customers must agree to participate for an initial period of one year and thereafter may discontinue participation by contacting SaveEnergyAtHome@aep.com, requesting to end your participation. Un-enrolling from Power Rewards: Smart Thermostat will end your participation for all of your enrolled thermostats. Once you unenroll, you will not receive bill credits.
- What if I have additional questions about Power Rewards: Smart Thermostat?
Please visit ElectricIdeas.com/Smart Thermostat or email SaveEnergyAtHome@aep.com.