Indiana Michigan Power FAQ
- What is IM Home?
- IM Home is optional for customers who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their air conditioning.
- When summer temperatures climb, demand for energy increases. IM Home is designed to help reduce high energy—or peak—demand. Holding Demand Response (DR) events helps reducing peak demand and can help control costs for all everyone long term.
- Participants agree to brief, limited adjustments of their thermostats during DR events. The DR events are held on weekdays from May – September and will not last longer than 6 hours. There are a maximum of 15 DR events per summer. Peak demand periods for adjustments typically occur on especially hot days. You always have control and can adjust the thermostat at any time.
- Participants will receive a $25 check per device within 4 - 6 weeks of being enrolled in IM Home. Also, Michigan customers will receive a bill credit of $1.95 and Indiana customers will receive a bill credit of $2.40 per DR event when your participation is at least 50% of the event’s duration.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must:
- Be an Indiana Michigan Power customer.
- Use an eligible internet-connected thermostat for cooling.
- Have continuous wifi/internet.
- What is the enrollment rebate?
You will receive a one-time $25 check per device – for up to 2 devices – as a thank you for enrolling.
- When will I receive the $25 check for enrolling in IM Home?
You will receive your $25 check within 4 - 6 weeks.
- What is the bill credit for participating in a DR event?
Michigan customers will receive a bill credit of $1.95 and Indiana customers will receive a bill credit of $2.40 per DR event when your participation is at least 50% of the event’s duration.
- Do I have to participate in the entire DR event to get a credit?
You must participate at least 50% of the event’s duration.
- How do I receive the $1.95 or $2.40 participation credit?
On your next bill, you will receive a $1.95 (Michigan) or $2.40 (Indiana) bill credit, for each DR event in which you participate.
- Which thermostats qualify for IM Home?
Provider Approved Thermostats ecobee ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee Smart, ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat
- How do I sign up for IM Home?
- How will I know that a DR Event is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications may appear on the thermostat or in your web or mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of the DR event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted a few degrees above the current temperature.
- The adjustment will no more than six hours on non-holiday weekdays.
- When the DR event is over, your thermostat will return to its normal set point and/or schedule.
- You can opt out of a DR event at any time from your mobile device, web browser or thermostat. When you opt out you will not get the bill credit or energy savings.
- Will participating in IM Home compromise my comfort?
DR events will only affect the temperature by a few degrees, with minimal impact on comfort. You can easily opt out of a DR event at any time, for any reason. When you opt out you will not get the bill credit or energy savings. You always have control and can adjust the thermostat at any time
- Am I allowed to opt out of DR events?
Yes. At any time during a DR event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device or web app. However, when you opt out you will not get the bill credit or energy savings.
- How do I unenroll from the IM Home?
Send an email to IM_Home@aep.com, requesting to end your participation in the IM Home. Un-enrolling from IM Home will end your participation for all of your enrolled thermostats. Once you unenroll in IM Home, you will not receive bill credits.
- What if I have additional questions about IM Home?
Please email IM_Home@aep.com.