Cooperative Rewards FAQ
- What is the Cooperative Rewards program?
- Your electric cooperative’s program is a voluntary program for residential electric members who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their central air conditioning and electric heating.
- Cooperative Rewards is designed to help reduce energy use during times of high energy demand or critical need. This decreases the use of less efficient and more expensive power sources, and contributes to the reliability of the grid. That’s good for the environment, and it helps keep energy costs low for everyone.
- Program participants agree to brief, small events which adjust their thermostats during high electric demand or critical need periods from May 1, 2021 through April 30, 2022. During the summer season (May 1, 2021 - October 31, 2021, and April 2022), adjustments may be called between 1 and 7pm up to 15 times. During the winter season (November 1, 2021 - March 31, 2022), adjustments may be called between 6 and 10am up to 15 times. Adjustments will not occur on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
- During the summer and winter seasons, critical controls may be called at any time of the day or night if there is a critical need. A critical need may be the result of extreme high demands, loss of generation, sudden loss of a renewable resource, or the need to balance energy reserves.
- Participants will receive a one-time $25 bill credit (limit one per electric account) after successfully enrolling in the program. In addition, if participants stay enrolled and participate, they may be entered for a chance to win $250* at the conclusion of the program pilot in 2022. Members must participate in at least 75% of event minutes to be entered for a chance to win a $250 VISA/MC gift card.
- How does Cooperative Rewards benefit the community?
- Gives us more control over our energy usage.
- Helps contribute to a reliable grid.
- Helps the environment by lowering energy use in your community
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must:
- Be a member of an Electric Cooperative and have a residential account with the electric service in your name. The participating electric cooperatives are: Central Florida Electric Cooperative, Clay Electric Cooperative, Glades Electric Cooperative, Peace River Electric Cooperative, SECO Energy, Suwannee Valley Electric Cooperative, Talquin Electric Cooperative, Tri-County Electric Cooperative, and Withlacoochee River Electric Cooperative.
- Use an eligible internet-connected smart thermostat for cooling and heating.
- Allow your electric cooperative to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on days of high energy demand or critical need.
- What is the enrollment incentive?
You will receive a one-time $25 bill credit after successfully enrolling in the program (one per electric account).
- What is the participation incentive?
If you stay enrolled and participate, you may be entered for a chance to win $250 at the conclusion of the program pilot in 2022. Members must participate in at least 75% of event minutes to be entered for a chance to win a $250 VISA/MC gift card.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Provider Approved Thermostats Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO Google Nest Google Nest Thermostat, Google Nest Learning Thermostat, Google Nest Thermostat E Radio Thermostat Company of America Filtrete 3M-50, CT30, CT50, CT80
- How do I sign up for the Cooperative Rewards program?
Confirm your eligibility for the program by answering these three questions:
- Are you an electric cooperative residential electric member in one of the following participating cooperatives: Central Florida Electric Cooperative, Clay Electric Cooperative, Glades Electric Cooperative, Peace River Electric Cooperative, SECO Energy, Suwannee Valley Electric Cooperative, Talquin Electric Cooperative, Tri-County Electric Cooperative, or Withlacoochee River Electric Cooperative?
- Do you use an eligible, internet-connected thermostat to control your central air conditioning, heat pump or other electric heating source?
- Will you allow the program to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on high energy usage days throughout the program (May 1, 2021 – April 30, 2022)
If you answered yes to these three questions, please choose the eligible thermostat you want to enroll in Cooperative Rewards.
- Then, click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you will follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
Once your eligibility is confirmed by your electric cooperative, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive notification on your enrollment status via email using the address provided in your account registration.
- How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications will appear on the thermostat or in your web/mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an adjustment event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted up to 4 degrees above the current temperature in the summer, and up to 4 degrees below the current temperature setting in the winter.
- The event will typically last less than four hours on once the event is over, your thermostat will return to its normal setting.
- Will participating in the program compromise my comfort?
No. On event days, your thermostat will be adjusted by 4 degrees or less. Your participation is voluntary and you will retain control of your thermostat. You can easily opt out of an event for any reason.
- Am I allowed to opt out of thermostat adjustment events?
Yes. During an event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device or web app.
- What should I do if I no longer want to participate in the program?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting to end your participation in the program. Once you have been taken off the program, your thermostat(s) will no longer be controlled and you will not be eligible to receive the annual participation incentive.
- What if I have additional questions about the program?
Please email email@example.com.