Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the BGE Connected Rewards program?
- The BGE Connected Rewards program is designed for residential electric customers who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their central air conditioning.
- Participants agree to brief, limited adjustments of up to four degrees on their thermostats during peak electric demand periods from May through October. Enrolled customers can anticipate up to 15 adjustment events per summer. Adjustments will typically not occur on weekends or holidays.
- Participants will receive a one-time $50 Visa e-gift card for each thermostat they successfully enroll into the program and an annual $50 Visa e-gift card per thermostat each year they remain enrolled in the program.
- Why did BGE create this program?
When temperatures rise, demand for electricity increases. Demand for electricity is typically at its peak on very hot summer weekdays when both homes and businesses are using higher amounts of electricity. The Connected Rewards program helps reduce high electricity—or peak—demand. Reducing peak demand can help to reduce the need for additional power plants, keep down the overall cost of electricity, and ease the burden on Maryland’s electricity grid as our state’s population continues to grow.
- What’s the difference between the Connected Rewards program and the PeakRewards program?
Customers enrolled in the PeakRewards program have previously allowed BGE to install a device (either a thermostat or switch on their outdoor air conditioning unit) that will cycle their air conditioning on and off during periods of peak electric demand during the summer months. In exchange for their participation, they receive bill credits from June through September.
BGE customers can enroll in the Connected Rewards program if they have a smart thermostat in their home (not installed by BGE) that controls their central air conditioning. During periods of peak electric demand, BGE will raise the temperature of their thermostat up to 4 degrees. In exchange, these customers get a $50 annual eGift card and a one-time $50 sign-up bonus.
If a PeakRewards customer chooses to enroll in Connected Rewards they will no longer receive bill credits through the PeakRewards program as these are two separate programs.
- Who should sign up for the Connected Rewards program?
This program is a good choice for customers who can either safely tolerate greater temperature impacts or are not home on weekday afternoons when adjustment events typically occur. While participants can opt out of an adjustment event simply by changing the temperature on their thermostat, this program is not recommended for customers who have medical or health conditions, are elderly, or those who may have small children or pets at home.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Provider Approved Thermostats Alarm.com Radio Thermostat CT30, CT80, CT100; Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat; 2GIG Z-Wave Plus™ Battery Powered Thermostat; Trane Z-Wave Thermostat; Linear Thermostat ecobee ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee Smart, ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO Google Nest Google Nest Thermostat, Google Nest Learning Thermostat, Google Nest Thermostat E Radio Thermostat Company of America Filtrete 3M-50, CT30, CT50, CT80 Vivint Radio Thermostat CT100 with Vivint Go!Control Panel
- Where can I find the Terms & Conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for all thermostat providers below:
Provider Terms and Conditions Alarm.com Terms & Conditions ecobee Terms & Conditions Emerson Terms & Conditions Honeywell Home Terms & Conditions Lux Terms & Conditions Google Nest Terms & Conditions Radio Thermostat Terms & Conditions Vivint Terms & Conditions
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
Eligible participants must:
- Be an active BGE residential electric customer;
- Use an eligible internet-connected (Wi-Fi) thermostat for cooling; and,
- Agree to terms and conditions as outlined by each thermostat manufacturer.
- Not be enrolled in another demand response program (i.e. PeakRewards) on the same A/C compressor
- Why would I be ineligible for Connected Rewards at this time?
Customers would be ineligible for the Connected Rewards program if they:
- Do not have a qualifying Wi-Fi thermostat
- Do not receive electric delivery service from BGE
- Have a BGE PeakRewards smart thermostat
- Live in a multifamily property that is owned by property manager or participates in the PeakRewards program
- Live in a landlord-owned property with an automatic change agreement on the account
- How do I sign up for the Connected Rewards program?
- Visit www.enrollmythermostat.com/bge
Confirm your eligibility by answering these four questions:
- Are you an active BGE residential electric customer?
- Do you use an eligible, internet-connected (Wi-Fi) thermostat to control your central air conditioning?
- Will you allow BGE to make short, low-impact thermostat adjustments on high electricity demand days?
- If you are able to positively confirm the above questions are true, please choose whether you have a thermostat to enroll in the Connected Rewards program.
- If you have an existing thermostat, please select your thermostat among the eligible models.
- Click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you will follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
- Once your eligibility is confirmed by BGE, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive notification on your eligibility status in your account registered email.
- Visit www.enrollmythermostat.com/bge Confirm your eligibility by answering these four questions:
- What is my enrollment incentive?
Participants will receive a one-time $50 Visa e-gift card for each thermostat they successfully enroll into the program. Participants will have 4 months to redeem and activate this e-gift card, and then 7 months from activation to use the balance.
- When will I receive the $50 Visa e-gift card for my program enrollment?
You will receive your $50 Visa e-gift card within four to six weeks of being accepted into the Connected Rewards program.
- How do I receive the annual $50 Visa e-gift card participation incentive?
You will receive a $50 Visa e-gift card per qualified thermostat at the end of each season for being enrolled and active, as long as you enroll prior to September 30 of that year. You should receive this e-gift card by late October.
- How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications may appear on the thermostat or in your web or mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an adjustment event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted up to four degrees above the current temperature.
- The adjustment will typically last no more than six hours on non-holiday weekdays.
- Once the temperature adjustment is over, your thermostat will return to its normal set point and/or schedule.
- In some cases, your thermostat may be adjusted up to three degrees cooler prior to an adjustment event to precool your home.
- You can opt out of an event at any time from your mobile device, web browser or thermostat.
- How will participating in the program affect the comfort level in my home?
Adjustment events will only affect the temperature by a few degrees, with minimal impact on comfort. You can easily opt out of an adjustment event at any time. Your participation is voluntary, and you will retain control of all of your thermostat functions.
- Am I allowed to opt out of an adjustment event?
Yes. At any time during an adjustment event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device or web app. To opt out of an event, you can simply change the temperature on your device back to your preferred comfort level. You will receive a pop-up message to confirm you would like to opt out of the event. Depending on your thermostat manufacturer, you can also opt out by clicking “Learn More” on the notification on your app or device and by navigating to the opt-out experience from there.
While your participation in every event is voluntary, in order to maintain system and electric grid reliability during adjustment events, we ask that you participate in the majority of the adjustment events throughout the summer.
- Does opting out of the pre-cool opt me out of the adjustment event?
For the majority of devices, when you opt out of the pre-cool, you are also opting out of the adjustment events. If you own an ecobee device, you must also opt out of the adjustment event.
- Does opting out of an adjustment event opt me out of the entire Connected Rewards program?
No, opting out of an adjustment event will not automatically unenroll you from the Connected Rewards program. While your participation in each adjustment event is voluntary, in order to ease the burden on Maryland’s electricity grid during peak events and reduce the need for additional power plants, we ask that you participate in the majority of the adjustment events throughout the summer.
- How do I know if an adjustment event is taking place?
Log into your manufacturer app or website to see the status.
- If I no longer want to be part of the Connected Rewards program, what do I do?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting to end your participation in the Connected Rewards program. Unenrolling from the program will end your participation for all of your enrolled thermostats. Once you unenroll in the program, you will not receive the annual participation incentive.
- Who should I contact if I am having issues with my thermostat?
If you are experiencing issues with your thermostat, please contact the device manufacturer for guidance.
- Can I still earn bill credits through BGE Energy Savings Days?
Yes, BGE residential customers with smart meters can still earn bill credits by voluntarily reducing their electricity usage on designated Energy Savings Days in exchange for credits on their electric bill. Your participation in Connected Rewards will not affect any bill credits you received on Energy Savings Days.
- Does the Connected Rewards program have any special benefits for limited income customers?
When a limited income customer signs up for the Connected Rewards program, BGE will install the new smart thermostat at no additional cost to the customer, provided the thermostat is in a brand new, unopened package and that the thermostat is compatible with the program. In addition, with BGE’s smart thermostat rebate, they can also receive $75 for the purchase of a new smart thermostat. Click here for more information and click over to the BGE Assistance tab.