SCG and CNG FAQ
- What is the Smart Gas Savers program?
- The Smart Gas Savers program is a voluntary program for Connecticut Natural Gas (CNG) and Southern Connecticut Gas (SCG) residential gas customers who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their heating.
- When winter temperatures drop, demand for gas increases and can cause strain on the gas delivery system. CNG and SCG’s Smart Gas Savers program is designed to help reduce gas use during times of high gas demand. That’s good for the environment, and it helps keep gas costs low for everyone.
- Participants agree to brief adjustments of 4 degrees or less to their thermostats during peak gas demand periods from November 1 through March 31. Adjustments to your thermostat typically last no more than four hours and will not occur on weekends or holidays, except in the event of a system emergency.
- Participants will receive a one-time $75 Amazon e-gift card (limit three devices per household) after successfully enrolling in the program. In addition, participants will receive a $25 Amazon e-gift card each year following the anniversary of their enrollment in the program.
- Certain customers may be eligible for an additional $100 for participating in a single 24-hour event once a winter season.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must:
- Be a residential gas customer of one of Connecticut Natural Gas (CNG) or Southern Connecticut Gas (SCG).
- Have gas service in your name
- Use an eligible internet-connected smart thermostat for cooling
- Allow CNG or SCG to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on days of high gas demand
- What is my enrollment incentive?
You will receive a one-time $75 Amazon e-gift card after successfully enrolling in the program (up to three credits per household).
- When will I receive the $75 e-gift card for enrolling in the program?
You will receive your $75 Amazon e-gift card within 60 days of being accepted into the program. The $75 e-gift card will be sent to the email address used to register your smart thermostat.
- How do I receive the $25 e-gift card annual participation incentive?
You will receive one $25 Amazon e-gift card per household following the anniversary of your enrollment for each year that you are enrolled in the program. The $25 e-gift card will be sent to the email address used to register your smart thermostat.
- How will I know if I’m eligible for the additional $100 incentive for the once per winter season 24-hour event?
Customers with thermostats from the following providers are eligible to participate in the 24-hour event: Honeywell Resideo, Emerson Sensi, Radio Thermostat, Lux.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Provider Approved Thermostats Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO Google Nest Google Nest Thermostat, Google Nest Learning Thermostat, Google Nest Thermostat E Radio Thermostat Company of America Filtrete 3M-50, CT30, CT50, CT80
- Where can I find the Terms & Conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for all thermostat providers below:
Provider Terms and Conditions Emerson Terms and Conditions Honeywell Home Terms and Conditions Lux Terms and Conditions Google Nest Terms and Conditions Radio Thermostat Terms and Conditions
- How do I sign up for the Smart Gas Savers program?
Confirm your eligibility for the program by answering these three questions:
- Are you a residential gas customer of either Connecticut Natural Gas (CNG) or Southern Connecticut Gas (SCG)?
- Do you use an eligible, internet-connected thermostat to control your central heating?
- Will you allow the program to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on high gas demand days or in the event of a system emergency?
If you answered yes to these three questions, please choose whether you have a thermostat to enroll in CNG and SCG’s program or if you would like to purchase a new, qualifying thermostat.
- If you have an existing thermostat, please select your thermostat among the eligible models. Then, click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you will follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
- If you don’t have an existing eligible thermostat, please choose a model, then purchase and install it. Once you have installed and activated, come back to enroll your new thermostat in the program.
Once your eligibility is confirmed, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive notification on your enrollment status via email using the address provided in your account registration.
- How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications will appear on the thermostat or in your web/mobile application.
- When will I be notified that my thermostat is going to be adjusted?
Participating customers will receive 24 hours of notice prior to all gas demand response events.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an adjustment event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted up to 4 degrees below the current temperature setting.
- The event will typically last less than four hours on non-holiday weekday afternoons. Once the event is over, your thermostat will return to its normal setting.
- How many times will my thermostat be adjusted each year?
If you participate in the program, you will have your thermostat adjusted up to a maximum of six events in each winter season.
- Will participating in the program compromise my comfort?
- Only on event days, your thermostat will be adjusted by 4 degrees or less. Most events will consist of a 3-degree adjustment. Your participation is voluntary and you will retain control of your thermostat. You can easily opt out of an event for any reason.
- At no point in the event will the setpoint on your thermostat drop below a minimum temperature of 60 degrees.
- Am I allowed to opt out of thermostat adjustment events?
- Yes. During any event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device, or web app.
- Note that, in the case of the once per year 24-hour event, opting out of the event will make you ineligible to receive the $100 incentive.
- What should I do if I no longer want to participate in the program?
Send an email to SmartGasSavers@energyhub.com, requesting to end your participation in the program. Once you have been taken off the program, your thermostat(s) will no longer be controlled and you will not receive the annual participation incentive.
- What if I have additional questions about the program?
Please email SmartGasSavers@energyhub.com